This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Starboard Cockpit Locker Hatch

October 16, 2017


After my day job I decided to get some time in on the cockpit locker hatches, and to begin with I testing a scrap piece of foam on the router table.  Using the 1/2" radius bit, I ran the scrap piece along the fence to apply the desired cut.



The results were just what I was looking for on the eventual finished locker hatch.  With that successful test, I then turned to the templates for the same application.



After running all four sides of the tops of each template / mold across the router table's 1/2" radius bit I noticed that the alignment of the bit was not strictly perfect - leaving a bit of a hard transition line from the top to the radius surface, as can be seen in the picture below.  



I "softened" the transition line from top to side with the use of some very fine grit sandpaper that I had on hand.  The necessity of having a fair curve in the transition was not too important, but I did want to create a nice transition for the heavier fiberglass cloth to assume.  In addition, if there was any strange result in the layup, I would address with fairing compounds on what would be the underside of the hatch itself.  



With the top-to-side radius applied to all sides of both hatches, and with the smoothing completed with the fine grit sandpaper, I wrapped the starboard locker hatch with plastic and then hot-glued the template to a large would block.




I had laid a sheet of plastic down on my fiberglass wet-out board; on one end I had the template staged for work, and on the other end I would wet-out the fiberglass itself.  The picture below shows two lengths of 6" 1708 biaxial tape in a butt joint along the length of the template, with a length of 4" 1708 biaxial tape overlapping and also running the length of the template.



A close-up picture of the first layers of cloth applied.



Ultimately, I would finish the short work session with laying down 6 lengths of the 6" 1708 tape and the 1 length of 4" 1708 tape.  I essentially had 3 layers of 1708 glass on the template.  Since the work surface was generating a bit of heat as a result of the curing process, I decided to draw things to a close for the day.  I plan to water-wash the surface, sand to abrade the surface for a good mechanical bond, and then lay up an additional layer of 1708 and then finish with a lighter cloth prior to fairing the surface for primer and paint.  The material hanging below the template will be cut to create a finished bottom edge.



Total Time Today: 2.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment