This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Continued Surface Prep (Fill & Fair) and Creating Cockpit Seat Hatch Molds

October 14, 2017


I got to unpacking some recent arrivals to the shop - preparing for interior paint, including the bilge.  In addition to the paints that arrived, I also received some 1708 biaxial and some Divinycell for the cabin sole recore work to be completed.  Setting these items aside, I got to work on Joule by beginning with the usual water-washing of the previous fairing application.



After washing off the cure amine blush, I turned to addressing the imperfections across the surfaces of the cabin top and sides.  I dished out crack and gouges using a spiral saw, and then vacuumed up the debris. 



I solvent-washed all worked areas as preparation for an application of fairing compound (epoxy thickened with 406 silica and 407 low-density).



With the worked areas cleaned of contaminates, I applied a film of 'neat' epoxy - not thickened with any filler compounds - and then proceeded to mix another batch of epoxy this time thickened with the aforementioned recipe of thickening agents.  Since this mixture sands relatively easily, I went ahead and "slathered" on more material than I should in hopes of limiting myself to one application of filler, and two at the most.



I also skimmed a coat of fairing compound on the nearly complete poop deck and counter.



Next, I turned my attention to fabricating cockpit seat locker hatches - at least giving it a go!  Using the hot glue gun and scrap materials from the shop, I marked out what would become the interior dimension of the port and starboard cockpit locker hatches.



With both templates built, I removed them from the Joule and continued working them in the shop.



I used a 3/4" sheet of polystyrene to prepare the molds, for which fiberglass will be laid.  I cut out two pieces each for the port hatch and the starboard hatch, in oversized dimensions.  I then glued up the two pieces, creating a 1.5" thick mold.  Next, I scribed the lines of the templates onto the mold material, and then cut out the mold to match the dimensions of the port and starboard templates.



In a future work session, I will radius the top of the molds on all sides to prepare them to accept the fiberglass.  Once the glass is applied - probably 3 to 4 layers of 1708 biaxial - I will remove it from the mold and glass in support material on the underside of each hatch.   I expect the exercise in fabricating the hatches will run 6 to 8 hours of work with limited materials required.




Total Time Today: 3.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment