This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Friday, October 20, 2017

Port Cockpit Locker Hatch

October 20, 2017


Home from a business trip, I decided to close out the Friday afternoon with laying up the port cockpit seat locker hatch.  As I had done with the starboard hatch (barely visible in the background), I prepared the template / mold by covering it with plastic film.  I then prepared the fiberglass: 11' of 6" 1708 biaxial tape and 3' of the 4" 1708 tape.  The glass was cut and the work surfaces set up so I moved forward with mixing epoxy.  Like I had done with the starboard side, I fully wet out two 6" pieces of glass, applied them to the mold, and then covered the seam with a 4" piece.



I progressed through another 4 pieces of 6" 1708 biaxial tape, or two layers, for a total of 3 layers of 1708 biaxial.  I will allow this to cure before coming back to water-wash, sand and prepare the surface for another couple layers of glass.  The 5 layers of glass will be further strengthened by supports that I will glass-in on the underbellies of each hatch.



Total Time Today: 1.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment