This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Friday, March 9, 2018

Tiller Base Plate Install & Trimming Remaining Bungs (almost)


March 9, 2018


Joule is almost complete; just a few tasks remain, and those will be resolved through tomorrow.  Today's items were to install the tiller base plate and trim the bungs that I could - and apply teak oil to those surfaces.  Getting to it, I set the tiller base plate in position, adjusted slightly, and then pre-drilled for the #10 self-tapping screws.  Once the four fasteners holes were pre-drilled, I removed the base plate and tapered both the underside of the plate and the cockpit sole in order to provide ample voids for the polysulfide sealant to squeeze into.



I solvent-wiped the underside of the base plate as well as the cockpit sole, and then applied a generous amount of polysulfide.  Knowing things were about to get a bit messy, I applied some protective tape to the top of the base plate.  With the polysulfide on the cockpit sole surface, I then gently set the base plate into position and secured the plate to the sole with the four fasteners.  I used a filleting tool and push as much polysulfide as I could into the small voice around the rudder stock and fiberglass tube that emerges through the cockpit sole.  I will come back later and remove the tape, cleaning up the area a bit.



After I finished the base plate install, I went ahead and removed the tape that was applied for the nonskid application...revealing a sharp line.  Next, I turned to trimming the bungs on the aft cockpit trim, the top trim on the companionway slide hatch, as well as the three bungs on the starboard coaming securing the return block to it.  I vacuumed up of the wood dust and shavings, and then cleaned the surfaces with a solvent.



Turning back to the tiller base plate, I grabbed some varnish (glue), four bungs and a hammer, and headed over to Joule once again.  I painted each bung with varnish, set it into its fastener hole, and then tapped it home.  These four bungs will be the last four to trim...tomorrow.  Teal oil will follow for the tiller base plate, as well as the aft cockpit trim, companionway slide hatch trim, and the forward edge of the starboard coaming.



Prior to knocking off for the evening, I applied teak oil to the forward edge of the starboard coaming, the top trim on the companionway slide hatch...



...and the aft cockpit trim.



In the last work session tomorrow, I will clean and re-install the various fiddles for the interior liner (v-berth area, settees, etc.).  I will install the new cockpit drain through-hull plumbing components.  I will also trim the four bungs on the tiller base plate, aft cockpit trim, companionway slide hatch trim and the forward edge of the starboard coaming board.

Total Time Today:  1.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment