This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Joule Completed!...(nearly)


March 10, 2018


We've reached the day!  Joule is completed...well, as the title states, "nearly."  There is the matter of her name and hailing port - which the owners are to bring over in the morning, so she may just have her name in lights by tomorrow!  The owners are also getting a bit of work done prior to splashing Joule:  the rudder stock has got some 'slop' in it due to a bolt that secures the tiller to it not aligning well.  The bolt is pushing off to one side of the round rudder stock, and the result is a not-so-snug fit of the tiller to rudder stock connection; the owners are also getting a bottom job.

Today, however, was the close of at least this ~7-month chapter of take down, repair, and rebuild.  I got to work installing the plumbing connections for the cockpit drains and their through-hulls.  I connected a NPS coupling to a hose barb, using polysulfide to seal the connection, and then tightened the other end of the coupling onto the port side NPS through-hull (also sealing the connection with polysulfide.  I then pushed and spun the hose onto the hose barb, overcoming the hose's resistance to going on.  I placed two clamps hose clamps onto the hose and pushed them down over the hose barb, and tightened them just enough to keep the hose in place.  I set the inboard end of the hose again the lower portion of the cockpit drain to determine how much hose needed to be trimmed, and then did just that.  I applied a bit of polysulfide to the lower portion of the cockpit drain, set the other two hose clamps on the hose, and then snugged the hose into position.  For the last step, I tightened the hose clamps securely - two on the through-hull and two on the cockpit drain.  I repeated this step for the starboard side drain.



Back in the cockpit, I trimmed the tiller base plate bungs, wiped the surface clean and then applied another application of teak oil.



I headed back over to the shop to prep the locker lids and fiddles to be installed in the cabin liner.  I sanded the weathered fiddles and then cleaned with a solvent.  The fair bit of sanding and cleaning did wonders for the fiddles.  I simply re-secured them in place with their original fasteners.  For the locker lids, I just gave them a good scrubbing with a solvent to remove years of crud.  The locker lids are a plywood with laminate construction, but seemed to have held up fine over the years.  I am sure they will be hidden away under new cushions in the near future.



At this point it was clean up time...I began a bow to stern vacuum session, and tossed over anything I had stowed away on board during the refit.



I placed the sanded and oiled washboards in the companionway, and slid the hatch closed.



She's nearly ready for the water!



As a gift to the owners, I fabricated a new tiller for Joule.  Made of alternating layers of teak and ash woods, the newly made and varnished tiller looks at home on this great little sailing yacht!  I absolutely love these Typhoons, and am happy to see new life breathed into hull #1044.  Glen and Catherine, fair winds and following seas!



Total Time Today:   3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment