This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Third Coat of Topsides Paint

January 21, 2018


With absolutely stellar weather, I was eager to get out there and begin the hull prep for the third coat of topsides paint.  I changed my approach in sanding with now having two coats on Joule, choosing to take off the gloss and knock down the high spots with 320-grit paper.  The topsides are laying on increasingly better with each application  After sanding the second coat down to create a good mechanical bonding surface, I notice the high spots are becoming less obvious as well.  As with the other prep work for the topsides paint, I first worked my way around Joule with a focus on the water line.  All of the sanding work for the finish paint is done by hand, with the waterline requiring nothing less - slower, but necessary.  The picture below shows the glossy second coat and the opacity of the recently sanded surface of the second coat.



With the sanding work out of the way, I mixed a pot of Rochelle Red and set it aside for the 20-minute induction period.  During this time, I vacuumed the hull of the sanding residue and then wiped it down with a solvent.



With the induction period expired, I thinned the pot by ~20% and got to painting.  Shown below, coat number three.  The next work session will involve removing the brightwork and starting the oil application, as well as deck/cockpit painting.



Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment