This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Fitting Brightwork, Priming Last of the Repairs, and Sanding Washboards


January 20, 2018


I was wanting to get to another coat of paint on the topsides today, but I also needed to finish out the brightwork and that meant dry-fitting the various components onto Joule.  So, the day revolved around the brightwork.  

I started with the coaming boards.  Using the small bottle jack and bracing system, I set the boards in place.  In previous work I had marked and drilled for the fasteners, and this was my starting point for the day.  I drilled for the 1/4"-20 machine screws, and then tapped the holes for the machine screws.




For the coaming board installation, I selected 1/4"-20 machine screws with oval heads, a finisher washer, and backed with a flat washer and a nut.  I installed nine fasteners per coaming board.



Having the coaming boards in place would allow me to fit the aft cockpit trim, and it would also allow me to be one step closer to painting the cockpit and decks.



There are a few more items to do yet on the coaming boards before I call them complete: trim the tips of the coaming return blocks, create crescents on the aft ends for deck drainage, and finally, oil the boards.



With the coaming boards in place, I turned my attention to the companionway trim - both the vertical and the horizontal trim pieces.  I brought the slide hatch over to Joule to help in aligning the horizontal trim pieces.  I began with aligning the starboard slide hatch trim (pictured below).  I already had these 4 pieces of trim marked for fasteners and bored for bungs with a forstner bit, so I lined up the first of the trim pieces and pre-drilled for the #10 wood screws (self-tappers).  With that first screw in place on the starboard side, I aligned the balance of the trim piece fore-and-aft.  Once i was happy with the alignment, I pre-drilled for the forward most screw, and then set that one in place.  I then repeated the pre-drilling and placement of the remaining three screws.  With the starboard side complete, I moved over and installed the port piece in the same manner.

With the horizontal trim in place, and the slide hatch functioning as it should, I moved on to installing the vertical trim pieces.  Beginning with the port side, I aligned the top of the vertical piece to the bottom of the horizontal piece.  I fiddle around a bit with the positioning, and once I was happy, I pre-drilled for the #10 wood screws (again, sell-tappers).  I brought the washboards out to assist me with aligning the vertical pieces, and with the previous explained process, I managed to get the starboard side in place.



The trim for the slide hatch was now complete.  I will clean up the adjoining pieces with some sanding work to fine-tune the fit, and then oil the trim pieces prior to final installation.  Washboards looking good ;-)



My next piece to fit would the aft cockpit trim.  The coaming boards provided the dimension required for this piece of trim.  I hand-worked the ends to ensure a snug fit.  With the trim in place, I measured for the fasteners, and pre-drilled through the trim and aft bulkhead to mark the location.  In this instance I chose to recess #10 machine screws, backed with washers and nuts, and bunged for a clean appearance while in the cockpit.  With the marks made for the eventual fasteners, I took the board into the shop and drilled for 1/2" bungs.



With the trim piece prepared for installation, I then tapped for the #10 machine screws.



The installation took place earlier in the day, but in the super-human focus I was generating, I forgot to capture the just-completed-installation.  The photo below shows the aft cockpit trim in place.  Again, I will need to oil the teak prior to final installation and bunging of the fastener holes.



I switched gears once the brightwork was completed (in fact, there is more brightwork: the cockpit seat trim...brother!), so I moved on to the hardware prep.  I chose to work the aft deck today, working through the mainsheet cleat, mainsheet block, motor mount, and aft cleat.  I started by tapping for the three #8 machine screws for the mainsheet cam cleat.

In previous work I over-drilled the new core installation and filled with thickened epoxy - this serves to isolate the aft deck core from any future water ingress.  I aligned the base pad (a plastic pad, not the wooden pad shown below) with the areas that I had filled with epoxy and pre-drilled for the tap.  With the holes drilled, I then tapped them for the #8 screws.  The mainsheet cam cleat will be installed onto the wooden pad, and backed with a piece go G-10 underneath the deck.



I repeated the exercise for the mainsheet double block.  For this hardware item, I chose to install with #10 machine screws; again, mounted onto a wooden pad and backed with G-10 from the underside of the deck.



The motor mount was next.  The Cape Dory Typhoons came with a motor mount that would hinge onto this mount and lay aft over the taff rail.  With the height of this mount and the height of the taff rail being similar, I chose not to install this hardware item onto a wooden pad; rather, it would rest directly on the deck and bedded with a polysulfide (as will all hardware items).  I pre-drilled for the 1/4"-20 bronze machine screws, and then tapped (or threaded) the holes.



The final piece of hardware prep for the day was the aft deck cleat.  This cleat would be elevated somewhat by the small wooden pad, set with 1/4"-20 bronze machine screws, and backed with G-10.



The last bit of work for the evening, and it was dark by now, was to get primer on the last bit of repair work done on Joule - coring the cabin sole, coring the cockpit sole, and the work done on the aft deck to keep water from coming into contact with the newly installed core in that area.  I mixed a small pot of Interlux Primekote, waited for the 20-minute induction period to elapse, and then began on the cabin sole - (two coats applied).



I moved onto the cockpit sole (two coats applied)...



...and finally, the aft deck work - the areas for the fasteners in which I over-drilled and filled with epoxy to create a barrier to preserve the core material- (two coats applied).



I had removed the washboards earlier, and while working with them today kept taking an evil eye from them....they just looked ridden hard and put away wet!  I was out of teak stock, but the boards appeared to be in solid condition, and just needed to be cleaned up a bit.  



Through 80 and 120-grit discs, and some hand-sanding, I brought the boards back to looking pretty, pretty good...not great, but good - they will serve their purpose.



Total Time Today: 7.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment