This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Cont. Cabin Sole (Sand & Fair), Sanding Hatches, and Miscellaneous

November 12, 2017



With a needed errand completed in the morning, and after a Belgian waffle with warm maple syrup and copious amounts of butter,  I final rolled myself out to Joule to pick up where I had left of Saturday. I got started with a good water-washing on the areas that I had applied a skim coat of 407 low-density to.  I did this to cover the 410 microlight that I had applied prior and that I had sanding fair.  The reason for the 407 application was to prep the substrate for the eventual darker coat of Interlux Perfection Rochelle Red...soon to be applied.  I decided to skip sanding the topsides and went onto Joule to water-wash the cabin sole.

In the prior day's session, I had applied the final layer of 1708 biaxial and then applied a skim coat of thickened epoxy to fill in the weave and taper the radius from sole to vertical surfaces of the molded interior.  Now, with this area cleaned of the amine blush, I dried the surfaces and prepared the sanding gear - the RO with 80-grit sheets.  In the picture below, I have completed the sanding, with the exception of the corners.  For the corners and tighter spots, I used the Bosch oscillating tool's hook'n'loop sanding pad.  The cabin sole is now extremely sturdy to walk on!



After I had thoroughly vacuumed the surfaces, I went over them with a rag that I had doused with solvent to take up any remaining sanding residue.  With the cabin sole surfaces now able to offer a good mechanical bond, and cleaned of contaminates, I mixed up a small batch of thickened epoxy to skim areas that were showing cloth weave and also a few low spots.  Overall, the cabin sole is just about ready for primer. 



I also took some time today to sand a couple larger areas, both port and starboard, that had been worked by the previous owner.  There is quite a bit of flex in the molded interior, and can most likely be attributed to the damage sustained on the exterior of the hull.  The gobs of glue-like substance used to bond the molded interior to the interior of the hull probably failed at some point - allowing the molded interior to flex.  



This application of thickened epoxy will help clean up work that could have been better.  We're not going for perfect here, just to fill low spots and produce a painted surface that is more or less fair.



Climbing out of Joule, I went back to the shop to work the hatches, getting them closer to primer paint.  I started off by water-washing the surface of the companionway hatch.  For the sanding work, I used the RO sander and a 120-grit disc to knock down the 410 microlight that I had applied to both the top and underside surfaces.  With that complete, the companionway hatch was nearly ready for primer; however, the exterior surface required a skim coat to fill couple low spots, so I mixed an ounce of epoxy, thickened it and played it on with a plastic squeegee.  



I set the companionway hatch in a  corner of the shop to cure, and then brought out the cockpit locker hatches.  I had water-washed them in a previous work session, so they were ready for sanding work.  In previous work on the cockpit locker hatches, I applied a coat of epoxy as a sealer coat - applied with a foam brush.  At this point, sanding the hatches was essentially getting them ready for their first coat of primer.



I hand-sanded the hatches, both top and undersides, using 180-grit sheet sandpaper.  



The pictures above and below show one hatch down and one to go!



With both hatches sanded, vacuumed and wiped down with solvent, I went back and boarded Joule for a couple miscellaneous items.  First, I used a tapered bit and drilled out a couple dozen small fastener holes on the overhead and molded interior surfaces.  I had been neglecting these (not work as efficiently as I could), but I took the few minutes needed to complete this task.  The more significant item that I returned for was inspection of the old fastener holes, and more precisely the deck core surrounding them, to see condition and if any further work was required here.  Being a significant deck fitting (the only cleat forward on Joule), I wanted to ensure that the core was sound and strong for this cleat.



I used a 5/8" forstner bit to drill out one of the fastener holes, through the topspin and the core but keeping the bottom skin in tact.  



Sure enough, the core around the foredeck cleat installation was black and crumbly.  I will make this work a quick recore effort in the coming week.  I have a piece of G10 that has been hanging around the shop for quite some time, and using it as the core will beef this area up dramatically.  Using the G10 will also naturally isolate the surrounding remaining good core from any future water ingress.




Total Time Today: 4.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment