This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Friday, March 2, 2018

Cont. Brightwork and Hardware Installation, part 3


March 2, 2018


I made it a point to tackle a couple more items ahead of a previously planned weekend trip.  I grabbed the aft cockpit trim board from the shop, some tools for installation, and headed over to Joule.  The installation was fast and simplistic - mounting the trim with #10 machine screws, backed with washers and nuts.  There was a bit of an awkward angle to overcome with the nuts and washers for the fasteners nearest the access plate, but I managed.



With the aft cockpit trim in place, I turned my attention to the port side cabin cleat.  The additional fasteners that  I order arrived in the mail today, so it was time for this cleat to be mounted.  I tapered the holes through the deck, the underside of the deck and pad, as well as the top side of the deck pad. I then cleaned the surface of the boat, applied a good amount of polysulfide, and then placed the pad and cleat into position.  three 3.5" bronze 1/4-20 machine screws, backed with washers and nuts, secured the cleat in place. 



I then set out to trim all of the bungs yet to be trimmed:  the cockpit seat trim and the vertical and horizontal companionway trim.  This was the most time consuming part of the evening's work, having to trim and then sand through a few grits of paper to blend the surfaces well.  For all the brightwork that has been bunged, I will come back with another coat of teak oil prior to Joule's departure.

I finished the work of trimming the bungs and then headed back over to the shop.  The aft cockpit trim required 1/2" bungs, and since I did not have any of those prepared, I grabbed a piece of the teak stock and my 1/2" bung cutter and got to work making 5 of them.
I removed the 5 bungs from the block of teak with a trim saw, cleaned them with solvent, and with a bit of varnish (glue) headed over to Joule for the install.  I painted a bit of varnish on the bungs and tapped them into place, one at a time.


I cleaned up for the night.

Total Time Today:   2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment