This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Third Deck Coat & Companionway Slide Hatch


February 10, 2018


I set out today to get the first coat of Interlux Perfection on the companionway slide hatch, and to get the third coat on a portion of the deck.  I decided to split the deck up into two parts, to apply paint to them on separate sessions if necessary.  In fact, the paint application to the deck is made much easier and manageable by portioning the deck this way.

I sanded the surfaces I was to paint with 400-grit paper, hand sanding the entirety.  



For the deck, I sanded the poop deck, side decks, and up to the bow and in between the two nonskid surfaces on the foredeck.  This deck space comprised the first of two; the second part of the deck is the cabin sides and cabin top.  



I also sanded this portion of the deck with 400-grit paper.



I then mixed a small pot of Interlux Perfection Mediterranean White.  I applied the tight spots on the companionway slide hatch with a foam brush, and then immediately went over to Joule to hit the tight spots around the bow with that same foam brush.  After finishing the deck, I came back to the slide hatch and finished the primary field area to complete its first coat.



I stated above, I completed my way around the deck prior to getting back to the slide hatch.



I will apply a fourth and final coat to the deck prior to hardware installation and brightwork installation.



Total Time Today: 2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment