This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Sanding Topsides, Deck/Cockpit & Application of Second Coat to Deck/Cockpit


February 6, 2018


I took a vacation day to then take advantage of the great painting conditions - something other than windy and rainy.  I immediately began in the morning, around 0800 with sanding the cockpit, deck and cabin top with 400-grit paper.  This was to be the second coat applied to those aforementioned areas on Joule, and she was already taking the Interlux Perfection well.  Over the next few hours, I hand-sanded my way across the areas to be repainted.

After I completed the sanding, I thoroughly vacuumed the surfaces and then wiped them down with a solvent dampened rag.  I then mixed a pot of the Perfection Mediterranean White; while I awaited the 20-minute induction period, I collected the tools required for the paint application. 



I began in the cockpit, and carefully worked the areas holding a tight radius before moving onto the larger field areas of the seat tops, coamings, aft cockpit bulkhead, etc.  I then moved to the cabin bulkhead, cabin top and sides - progressing forward to the bow.



With the cabin surfaces completed, I moved on to the starboard side decks and worked towards the bow...



...and then back down the port side, finishing off on the poop deck.



With the painting of the second coat on the deck/cockpit completed, I took a break to run an errand for the through-hull fittings (cockpit drains) - which would provide time for the paint to dry to a point where I could continue with the topsides.  I ran out to secure couplers and hose barbs for both the starboard and port cockpit drains.  At some point, the owners will replace the older through-hulls with proper seacocks, but for now the task was to remove the brass ball-valves, update the hose, and apply the proper hose clamps.

I made a successful trip, securing the items I required.  When I returned, I immediately got started with sanding the topsides to prep for paint to come.



I worked my way from the starboard aft counter, and progressed forward to the starboard bow.



I then worked from the port bow back to the short portion of port counter, and finished at the stern.



With a good vacuuming of the topsides, Joule was ready for a solvent wipe down and her fourth coat of paint.




Total Time Today:  6.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment