This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Foredeck Vent and Deadlights Install


February 28, 2018



Continuing the pace towards the finish line, I set out this evening to complete the installation of the foredeck mushroom vent - a solar powered vent that keeps air circulating in the boat even through the nighttime hours - and the new Spartan Marine bronze deadlights - a lovely addition for any vessel!  Both items were selected by Joule's owners, and I couldn't agree more with both selections.

I began with the vents overhead mounting plate, ensuring that I placed the fasteners in an alternating pattern with that of the deck fasteners.  I predrilled for the #10 3/4" self-tapping screws, and then drove them into position.  With the mounting plate in place, I moved up to the foredeck to complete the balance of the install.




I had tapped for #8 fasteners thinking those would be used; however, I am glad a made the error with the smaller of the two sizes, because I simply predrilled for the #10 1" self-tapping screws.  There was ultimately no issue with the install, so I moved forward with it.  I applied a liberal amount of polysulfide to the underside of the deck plate, and then firmly screwed it into position.  I completed the install by screwing the cover (with the small solar panel) into place.  The instructions advise that the, due to packaging, the vent may need to be exposed to sunlight for several hours in order to build a suitable charge to then begin to operate.  Somehow I don't think Joule will be able to 'resist' inspiring the vent to life!



I also removed the nonskid tape line, thereby exposing the foredeck and side deck paint scheme - not a bad looking Typhoon!  I moved on to the install of the port side deadlight.  I cleaned the surface of the deadlight frame and the cabin side with solvent, as prep for the polysulfide.  I then applied a generous amount of the polysulfide, and secured the deadlight with 5 bronze screws.  I clipped about an 1/8" off the tip since they were in between sizes for what I was looking for relative to the thickness of the cabin sides.  All good.  A future project for Joule's owners may be to frame out the interior of the cabin side to 'finish' the deadlight from an interior perspective.



I repeated the process for the starboard deadlight.  Making good progress, and more finishing work to come.



Total Time Today:   1.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment