This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Final Install of Brightwork and Hardware


February 24, 2018


In the final stages of Joule's restoration, I spent the day with continued work on the toe rails and rub rails, installing hardware, and installing brightwork.  The first task for the day was to freshen up the edges on my chisels in order to make clean cuts on the bungs that were installed on the rails.




I worked my way around Joule, removing the portion of the bungs that stood proud of the rail.  After the bung was cut down to the surface of the rail, I used varying grits of paper to blend the surfaces for a smooth and fair finish.  There will be another couple coats of teak oil as the final touch to the rails.



Next, I enlarged the access hole to the underside of the poop deck - for installation and removal of future hardware (cleats, blocks, motor mount base plate, etc).  After the opening was enlarged for the new deck plate, I placed the base of it in the opening and marked for the fasteners.



I snapped a picture of the deck plate in place with lid secured.



With the marks made for the fasteners,  I removed the base plate, drilled, and tapped the holes for #8 machine screws.  I decided not to install the access plate yet since the rough opening was a bit larger that the opening with the base plate installed.  This slightly larger diameter would allow the poop deck hardware installation to be slightly less challenging.



I moved to the foredeck and removed the tape that was marking the edge of the nonskid/glossy paint surfaces.  While I was up there, I water-washed the over-drilled and filled holes that would be drilled and tapped for the mushroom vent base plate installation.  With the amine blushed removed from the epoxy work, I then sanded the thickened epoxy fill until it was fair with the foredeck surface.  I placed the vent's base plate in position, marked the location to drill and tap, and then proceeded to drill and tap for fasteners.  Installation of the vent will come after the nonskid surface is applied.



I stayed up on the foredeck after I took the vent work as far as I could go, and taped the outline of the nonskid surface.  I chose to work on the deck nonskid only since I would be in and out of the cockpit installing various pieces, so the cockpit floor's nonskid would be one of the last items on Joule's restoration.  I could not get to the nonskid surface on the deck today due to caulking work that I was doing on the toe rails - filling small gaps here in there as a result of the deck's imperfections.  I didn't want sanding debris fouling the caulking - even though this joint was vary narrow.  It could wait a day, so I chose to wait on it.



I then got to installing the companionway trim: the trim for the washboards (or drop boards), and the companionway slide hatch trim.  I arranged the brightwork trim for the washboards, and then placed fasteners in each of the pre-drilled holes.  I applied caulk to the backside of the trim pieces and then placed them in position, and secured them.



I repeated the exercise for the companionway slide hatch trim.



Next on the list was the bilge through hull.  I had to slightly enlarge the existing opening to allow for the new bronze through hull.  I had this through hull sitting around the shop for some time now, and decided to donate it to the restoration.  I hooped up the flange of the through hull with polysulfide, and set it into the hole.  As can be seen below, there was good squeeze out ensuring a water-tight seal.



I used a through hull step wrench and a pair of locking pliers on the backing nut from the inside, and secured the through hull in its new home.  I then cleaned up the squeeze out for a clean installation.



I jumped back up and onto Joule to tackle the small jib tracks mounted on the cabin.  I started on the port side, and installed the track for a test fit.  I chose acorn nuts for the installation due to the limited headroom below - bumping your head on an acorn nut would be a bit better than the tailing portion of the fastener.  With the dry fit in place, I marked the portion of the fastener that I needed to remove in order for the acorn nut to seat properly.  The fasteners were just slightly too long and would not allow the acorn nuts to properly secure the fasteners.  With the fasteners trimmed, I hooped up the underside of the track and installed it.



I repeated the exercise for the starboard jib track.



The last item for the day was gluing in the bungs for the companionway trim.  In the coming week, I will trim these, and other, bungs; application of teak oil will be then wrap up the brightwork components.



Total Time Today:   8.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment