This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Fifth Coat Cabin, Aft Deck, and Tiller Base Plate


February 18, 2018


Sunday afternoon, I made it out to Joule to continue to bring the restoration to a close.  I grabbed safety gear and 400-grit paper and sanded the cabin and aft decks (side deck and poop deck), as they were the focus of painting for the day.  With the sanding completed, I thoroughly cleaned the decks by vacuuming up most the sanding dust.  Prior to getting started with the painting I wanted to complete the last of the new brightwork for Joule...the tiller base plate.

I took the angle of the rudder post as it emerged from the cockpit floor, securing the measurement to a bevel to later transfer to the drill press that would bore the new hole for the rudder post.




I also took the diameter of the post.



I took a rough measure of the width of the tiller base plate...



...as well as a rough length.  The fabrication of the tiller base plate was more of an exercise in aesthetics rather than replicating the original dimensions with exact, tight-tolerances.



Using the measurement taken with the bevel, I transferred this angle to the drill press table - using a level to ensure that the angle was precise.



I placed a 1 and 1/4" diameter hole saw bit into the drill press.  The 1 and 1/4" diameter would allow roughly a 1/16" on either side of the rudder post, enabling me to slip the tiller base plate into position.  The gaps will be filled with polysulfide, and the plate will be screwed into its final position. 



I set the tiller base plate stock into place, and began the slow press to create the hole.



With the angle of the cut, the thickness of the base plate, and the clearance between the hole saw bit and the drill press table, I was able to just come shy of getting all the way through with the cut.



I clamped the base plate onto the drill press table and finished removing the plug with a handheld drill outfitted with the same 1 and 1/4" hole saw bit.



I check for fit back on Joule.  Happy with the fit, I set the piece to the side to continue with the day's painting.



While the mixed paint was catalyzing, I wiped the surfaces to be painted with a rag dampened with solvent.



With the paint now catalyzed and thinned, I began at the cabin and made my way to the aft deck.



With the painting completed for the day, which should be the final for the cabin and decks, I made my way back to the shop to continue with the tiller base plate. 



I made a simple half-template, and transferred the fore and aft curves of the template to the starboard side of the new tiller base plate.  I then flipped the template over, and repeated the transfer for the port side.



After removing the majority of the excess material with the table saw, I fined tuned things with the RO sander and by hand.  This piece will also get oiled prior to installation.



Total Time Today:   4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment