This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Friday, December 15, 2017

Fabricating Toe & Rub Rails, Spot Filling & Fairing

December 15, 2017


Having the entire day to work on Joule was nice, and meant that I could tackle more time-consuming projects requiring a fresh mind and body, as well as plenty of daylight hours.  I attended to the morning conference calls, per usual, and then got to work on filling the old fastener holes on the cabin top.  These deck plates were through-fittings for the mast wiring.  Joule's owners were looking to make a fresh start with her electrical system, and so were looking to return her deck to a 'blank canvas' of sorts.



I tapered the holes, vacuumed up the debris and thoroughly cleaned the surfaces with acetone.  I taped off the exit holes in the cabin's overhead, after also tapering and cleaning with a solvent.  I then mixed up a thickened batch of epoxy, leaving the consistency less viscous than I would for vertical or overhead application.  I worked the material down in the through holes, and then filled the fastener holes that secured the through-fitting to the deck.



The night before, I had sanded the patches for the old navigation lights, and was now ready to apply a layer of fairing compound.  I also thoroughly cleaned the port and starboard patches with solvent, and mixed up a more viscous batch of thickened epoxy.  



Starting with the port side, I applied the fairing compound with a squeegee, ensuring that the application was standing slightly proud to the surrounding surfaces and extending beyond the patch itself.



I then repeated for the starboard side.



Straightforward.  I will come back tomorrow to begin fairing the surface out to blend with the balance of the cabin sides. 



With work completed on Joule for now, I returned to the wood shop to begin fabricating the rails.  Given the length of the teak stock I would be working with, I had to position the table saw near the shop's doors and on an angle so that I had enough space behind the saw to line up the stock to enter the blade.  I also switched out the blade on the saw for a finer cut.



I grabbed the teak board selected for the rub rails, and set it on top of the table saw to help me determine where to position an out-feed "shelf" to support the board as I moved it across the blade of the saw - you can see the supports just in the background of the photo below.  I also took the opportunity to decide how to remove the individual rails from the 6" wide by just over 10' in length piece of teak.  It wasn't so much as how, but which side of the board to begin removing lengths of rail.  The decision was due to a short section of sap wood on one end of the teak.  Having decided a path forward, I cut the teak board into 5 rails at just over 10' in length.  I set one of the rails (the one with the short section of sap wood) onto the lumber rack, thinking it could be a go-to piece in the event of a catastrophic failure of one of the rails!  The rub rails have a 3/4" base, and are roughly 13/16" in height. 



Next, I took the four rails and decide the pairings - two for each rub rail.  The two rails for port and the two rails for the starboard side would be joined by a 12:1 scarf joint, installed and then trimmed on the aft portion as it extended beyond the transom.  I thoroughly reviewed each piece, paying attention to overall aesthetics, potential problem areas in the wood as it took the shape of Joule's sheer line, and taking into account defects that would be removed through the scarfing process.



Happy with the rub rail pairings (port and starboard), and determining which board of the pairings would be forward and which would be aft, I took out my scarfing sled - built for Alva Anne's restoration.  The scarf sled would give me a 12:1 joint, and was the recommended 12" length for a 1" thick piece to be joined with another.  I ran a test pass with a scrap piece of wood (shown below).



Satisfied with the results, I started with the port rub rail...and worked through all four lengths of material.  



I marked the pieces and bundled them together with tape for future work.



Next, I grabbed the teak board selected for the toe rails.  I also determined which side of the board to begin with removing the lengths of toe rails.  This board would also produce the new companionway hatch slide rails; since my focus was on the quality of wood for the toe rails, I determined the choice material for the four toe rails and began ripping the length of stock to that end.



Just as I did for the rub rails, I used various criteria for the selection of boards to make pairs with and also how to orient them as the "forward" board and the "aft" board.  With the pairing and orientation finished, I proceed to cut the scarfing joints for each board; again, a 12:1 cut ratio.



As I did for the rub rails, I paired and bundled them with tape to set aside for later work.  The next steps on the rails, both toe and rub rails, will be to cut a rabbet on the underside (the side adjoining the hull or deck) to allow for a layer of polysulfide sealant.  I will also need to glue (epoxy) the two pieces together at their scarf joints, and then mark and drill for fasteners.



With the toe rails and the rub rails well on their way, I got back aboard Joule to address the cockpit drain hoses and through-hull valves.  The valves were from a hardware, or big box, store and were of the brass persuasion.  The valves were to be replaced, and in the process, the hoses and hose clamps would also be freshened up.  I removed the valves, hose clamps and hoses with relative ease.



The last item for the day was to sand the area around the through-hulls, followed by a pass with the vacuum.



Total Time Today: 5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment