This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Continued Work on Hatches + Companionway Hatch (Part 2)

October 24, 2017


I could not resist getting back out to continue work on the cockpit seat locker hatches, and so I took the opportunity to do so.  I began by water-washing the previous application of the 6oz cloth, and then sanded the surface down with 80-grit paper using the RO sander.  I had applied some additional fairing compound to the inside corners in an effort to create a smooth transition and add strength; I would sand those areas at a later time.




I then vacuumed the surfaces and wiped them down with a solvent to thoroughly clean them prior to wetting out with straight epoxy.



The picture below shows the hatches / locker lids primed with epoxy prior to their final application of fairing compound.  While I waited for the epoxy to 'tack-up', I turned my attention back to the companionway slide hatch.  After filling the hole with cloth and some fairing compound, the hatch had sufficiently cured to allow me to proceed with the next step.  I water-washed and sanded the top of the hatch, and then prepped it for additional cloth to be laid up.  The cloth that I used was 6o - light material - so I prepared some additional layers of 6oz cloth to apply.  I cut out 4 circles, progressively smaller than the last.  I wiped the surface the patched area with solvent, wet out the glass, and then applied the glass to the hatch.



Now that I had the hatch taken care of, I moved back over the the cockpit hatches.  The surface of both hatches were tacky to the touch, so I moved into mixing up some thickened epoxy for a fairing compound.  I applied the fairing compound and called it a night.  The companionway hatch can just be seen in the right side of the picture.



Total Time Today: 2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment