This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Friday, September 8, 2017

Prepping Joule For Hurricane Irma

September 8, 2017


Dad!, we should secure Joule...there is a storm a'brewing!!  You're right Bonnie, let's get to work!



I broke out the yard anchors - augers, really. As I had done for Hurricane Matthew, I deployed four of these anchors at the four corners of the structure, and then placed one at the bow of Joule.



I ran a dock line through Joule's stem fitting and secured it to one of the anchors.



With the bow line in place, I turned my attention to the remaining four anchors for the structure itself.



Using a short piece of rebar, I "screwed' the 24" anchors into the ground. 



That has to be some holding strength!, and I am sure the lines will break before the eye of the anchor fails, or the anchor is pulled from the ground.



Using several dock and halyard lines I had on hand, I began to secure each corner of the structure... 



I placed folded towels around the structure posts and supports in order to eliminate chafe on the lines...



I made my way around to each of the four anchors and tied off the structure as best I could.  Aside from the anchors I placed into the ground, the structure has 36" bolts that are driven through the base frame roughly every four feet.



After I had the structure secured, I turned my attention to Joule once again.  Making my way around the boat, I reset the jack-stands to secure more of Joule's hull - engaging more of the hull above the water line.  I then drove four anchors into the ground: two forward, and two aft.  I attached heavy-duty ratcheted strapping to these anchors and tightened them down - essentially driving the hull securely onto the jack stands.



With these precautions made, I feel that Joule has the best chance to make it through Irma unscathed. If things go south for Joule....we have bigger problems to deal with!



Spider web in place!



Total Time Today: 0 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment