This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Handy Work, Getting Into the Tight Spots

August 20, 2017



After catching up on various items around home and the shop, I set out to finish the deck and cockpit sanding as well as the interior.  The 5" RO sander could only get so far into some of the angles and corners - no matter how skillfully I feathered the edge in :), so the only thing left to do was to break out that go-to shop tool with unmatched capability for precision and finesse...the human hand.  On second thought, there are some hands out there that have more of a proclivity toward smashing and banging, but today my hands would require a measured approach.

I propped the fan up for a little circulation around Joule, flipped on NPR, and settled into finishing the removal of the old paint.  There would be plenty more sanding to come, between the new coats of deck, topsides and interior paint, but certainly not as grueling as this.  I worked my way around the cockpit, then into the cabin, and finished with the quarter berth and v-berth lockers.  It certainly feels good to get this arduous task behind me, and I look forward to the start of filling and fairing the numerous imperfections across Joule.

The last item for the day was to sand an area of the bottom skin on the poop deck, and then confirm the measurement for the new balsa core order - 3/8".  I will get a sheet of 3/8" balsa core on order for the poop deck this evening.   I have yet to cut open the cabin sole for similar recore work, and since I did not know if the 3/8" balsa was laid up on there as well, I decided to wait to order until I had the sole opened up. 




Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment