This blog will document the restoration of Cape Dory Typhoon (Weekender) Hull #1044. The Cape Dory Typhoon is a great sailing small-scale 'yacht', and offers a very friendly experience for her captain and crew. The scope of this restoration project will be painting the interior, deck and topsides, as well as fabricating new teak brightwork.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Deck & Cockpit Sanding (Part 1)

July 23, 2017


Having nearly all of the hardware and brightwork removed from Joule - there are two lifeline stanchions yet to come off - I set out to begin taking the old and tired deck paint off.  I wanted to get down to the substrate to prep for the more involved task of recoring the few parts of the boat that required it.  But prior to beginning the day's task, I met with the owners to go over a few items, and to deliver a few odds and ends off Joule that will be reconciled in one way or another.  Topsides paint color choice was also discussed....but you'll have to keep following along for that big reveal!

After the owners departed, I set out with what was to be the primary tool for the day - the Porter Cable 7335 RO sander.  This workhorse is an essential item for removing layer upon layer of boat paint in as efficient a manner as possible.  The 7335 was discontinued for some reason, and I believe replaced by the 7345.  After acquiring the 7335 several years ago, I quickly realized this was a 'go-to' tool for a number of jobs - mostly all are miserable, but having the right tool makes a tough job doable.  I was fortunate to pick up another 7335 at a garage sale....for $10 bucks!!  Here's to many more hours of sanding bliss.

The photo below shows the poop deck prior to all the fun beginning.




Throughout the day, I used the 6" pad and 80-grit adhesive discs.  I set up the shop vac as well in order to catch as much of the particulate coming off the boat as I could.  I started on the poop deck, and then dropped down to the cockpit's aft bulkhead.



Once I had the poop deck and aft bulkhead of the cockpit sanded, I worked my way forward across both sidedecks and stopped just at the trailing edge of the nonskid.


As I approached the aft of the cabin bulkhead, I dropped down to sand the molded fiberglass coaming and cockpit seats.


The vertical portion of the cockpit seats were also sanded...


...finishing up with the cabin's aft bulkhead.  There will be quite a bit of hand-sanding in the coming days in order to get into the spaces that the 7335 could not.  The worst part of any restoration, in my opinion, was well underway; looking forward to getting primer on Joule!


I finished the work session by inventorying the brightwork removed from Joule, and then measuring the various pieces so that I could get an order in for the new teak stock.  Cheers!


Total Time Today: 6.25 hrs



No comments:

Post a Comment